The top grossing films of all time are:
- Avatar (2009) $2,922,917,914
- Avengers: Endgame (2019) $2,797,501,328
- Titanic (1997) $2,194,690,964
- Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens (2015) $2,069,521,700
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) $2,048,359,754
- Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) $1,916,306,995
- Avatar: The Way of Water (2022) $1,762,401,348
- Jurassic World (2015) $1,671,537,444
- The Lion King (2019) $1,663,075,401
- The Avengers (2012) $1,518,815,515
Out of the top 10, only one film was produced outside of the 21st century – Titanic.
It’s important to note that compiling a list of the highest grossing films is an inexact science. The data provided refers to movie theatre revenues, which could differ greatly from non-theatre revenue streams such as DVD sales, merchandising, licensing for video game production and so on. Another point is that the list is unadjusted for inflation, thereby giving greater weight to the most recently produced films i.e. when ticket prices are highest. When adjusting for inflation, the highest grossing film of all time is Gone with the Wind, released in 1939.