In 1994 Bongo Comics presented the results of a Homer Simpson art competition in Bartman #3 (Bartman Meets Radioactive Man). In collaboration with Wizard Magazine the challenge was to create a costumed super-persona for Homer Simpson.
Bongo received close to 1,000 entries, which they described as ranging from wacky to severely weird, and provided prizes including:
- Grand Prize: An animation cel from The Simpsons TV show.
- 2nd Prize: A complete set of SkyBox Simpsons trading cards.
- 3rd Prize: A limited-edition hardcover book collecting the first issues of all four Bongo titles, signed by Matt Groening.
- 4th Prize: A complete set of Bongo first issues, signed by Matt Groening.
- Honorable Mention: A Bongo button and postcard.
We also managed to get our hands on a misprinted copy of Bartman #3 (see image below). Going by the lesson learned in Bartman #1 about supply and demand, this ‘error’ comic could be worth millions!